Saturday, June 20, 2015

Day 2. Oklahoma to North Dakota

When I got up this morning It was all about making the miles and that is exactly what I did. I pulled out of Oklahoma at 4:15 and headed north. Really nothing I haven't seen before. I bunch of flat open lands for as far as the eye can see. The speed limit in a lot of the areas was 80 MPH so the bike was guzzling down the fuel. I was getting about 150 Miles per tank. I stopped and grabbed me a McMuffin, oiled the chain and did a quick walk around of the bike at the first gas stop. A power bar for lunch and more miles.

I was headed for Lisbon North Dakota's Sheyenne National Grassland. Home of the endangered Greater Prairie Chicken and $10 camp sites. Well , evidently they have had as much rain as us and the grasslands were more like ponds. I can only assume that there are no more Greater Prairie chickens as they surely drowned.

 
 
Once I realized that was a bust I pulled over and thought about what I should do. It was sometime around five and I was feeling good, I had a full tank of gas , and the sun was still high in the sky. The sunset was showing to be around 9:30 PM. I went with my original plan which was the KOA in Bismarck. Now had I done that directly it would have been about 900 miles. Since I detoured further east it would turn out to be a 1100 mile day if I made the run. Hell why not, I was feeling good. Somewhere along the way I took a small bird to the windshield and ran over a prairie dog. I dodged about 50 through out the day so the odds were just stacked against the little fella.  I pulled in the KOA about 8:15 PM and got the last camp site. I set up camp .There was a guy on an old Harley that was headed to Anchorage. He was supposed to meet his wife and kid there in a week or so. We visited awhile why I cooked up some Romen and he tossed me a cold one from his cooler. About the time the Romen was done the guy on the other side offered me a braut and some chips. It turned out to be a nice meal.
 
 
I attempted to update the blog and it just didn't work. I had suspected that the it would be cool by bed time but it wasn't it was pretty miserable going to sleep.
 
 
 Next Day: Day 3
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you made friends & ate more than Ramen. I'm glad that you're able to stop for pics & get to post up and share. Be safe & happy trails!!!

    ReplyDelete