Friday, June 26, 2015

Day 8: Into the Arctic Circle


I got up sometime between 3-5 AM. The whole trip I was in and out of time zones  so I never really new what time it was. One time I asked Deb why she wasn't at work and she told me because it was 8PM. Going outside was no help either. It was continuous daylight. No one at the hotel was up and I figure I would head north and hit the Arctic Sign for a few quick pictures. Then I was going to head back to the hotel, catch another shower, eat breakfast and head back down the Dempster to Dawson City.

The road was nice and dry and the air was brisk on the way.

 
 



 

 
I took my time heading back to the hotel enjoying the morning. I stopped for a few more pics.


After I got back to the Hotel and showered I headed to the Diner for breakfast. A father and Son I had met last night in the bar area was finishing up breakfast and asked me to join them. After breakfast I jumped back on the bike and was headed to Dawson. I was able to stop and take a few more pictures.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
The road and ride was much nicer dry . I had passed the Tombstone Territorial Park Interpretive center on my way up the Dempster with plans on stopping on the way back. I went in and took a quick tour and then I spoke with one of the employees in hopes of identifying a bird I saw on the side of the road. She told me it was most likely a Ptarmigan. Upon further research I would later conclude it was an Arctic Sharptail Grouse. Either way it was beautiful. I visited with  people who had stopped at the center. Most were turning around and going back towards Dawson or had plans on only going a few more miles down the road to see the Arctic Tundra. The tells of flat tires and muddy roads kept most people from venturing any further than Tombstone Park.  The clouds had been rolling in for awhile . It started to sprinkle and I grabbed my rain gear and headed for the center to put it on. I wanted to head south before the Dempster turned into a slip and slide. It wasn't long until it was a full blown gully washer. Here I was once again on the Dempster in the rain. When I finally made it to the bridge I was relieved. I pulled over at the unmanned gas station to get out of the rain.
 

 
 
 
 

Unfortunately sometime between yesterday and today the automated gas station went from working to out of order. I knew there was no way to make it to Dawson City. I used the 4 fuel cans I had been toting in the socks and saved the one strapped to the bike for later if needed. I figured that would get me to a station or at least closer to a station.  I had been riding in the rain the last few hours and really didn't feel like walking to find fuel. I found a station before Dawson. The lady asked me where I was headed and I told her I was hoping to find a hotel in Dawson but that I had heard there was a wedding and a river race going on and that there were no hotels available.  She told me she would be more than happy to call around for me and find me a place. I was grateful. She asked me what my preferences were for a hotel. That was easy, 4 walls a roof and bar in walking distance.

 
The lady at the Dawson Downtown Hotel said she had a room available for about $120 American but she was too busy to take a reservation to just come on down. I was exhausted and again $120 sounded like a steal, especially when I saw there was a hot tub, restaurant, and a bar in the hotel. The Bar seamed to be THE BAR in town. It was also home to the Sour Toe Cocktail. Google it. They pull a human toe out of a jar. You go to the bar and order a shot. Walk over to the table. Give the Toe handler $5 . He drops the Toe in your drink. You take the shot and the toe has to touch your lips. He gives you a certificate and he drops the toe in the next guys glass. I politely declined. I don't do well with severed Digits. I did partake in a few shot (minus the toe) then it was off to bed.

 
 NEXT DAY :Day 9




No comments:

Post a Comment