Monday, June 29, 2015

Wrapping up the last few days and headed home

The next few days would be spent riding in and out of the rain. My notes would get worse and now after being home for 2 weeks the last few days all run together. I would combine some camping with hotels , weather dependent. I had really wanted to ride Bear Tooth Pass which goes through Montana and Wyoming. So that is the direction I was headed. When I crossed the bordered I was glad to be back in the good ole USA.

 
The Canola flowers were in full bloom and smelled like a mix of play-dough and chocolate. It was horrible.
 
 
It wasn't long until I came up on this sign. I was just too tired to pull out the map and re-route . Challenge accepted.
 


I am glad that I had made the choice to ride the Bear Tooth Pass and the Chief Joseph Highway. It was beautiful. I did see 2 of the worst wrecks of my trip there though. One was an RV that ran down a pretty good embankment . I'm not sure how it didn't flip. I stopped but was told everyone was fine and help was on the way. I saw a teenager getting out and all I could think about was him sitting on the couch and playing video games when his mom fell asleep and ran off a 20 ft drop. I am guessing he got bounced around pretty good. The other wreck was a cruiser riding 2 up with a trailer. It was bad. One lady appeared unconscious. I slowed down to help but a large group had already gather and I could hear sirens. I didn't add to the mob and kept going. It was a reminder of how fast things could turn bad.




These little guys were everywhere. If you sat down they would jump in your lap thinking you had a treat for them.
 

 


The mountain side was covered with these wild goats. It was beautiful. It reminded me of pictures I had seen of Scotland.



 
 
There were hundreds of these guys running around. I asked a local and she said they were marmots. I looked it up and if I'm not mistaken we call them groundhogs. Watching them run is hilarious.
 
 
 
Passing through Kansas was a dreadful ride.I stopped at the scenic overlook. If you look close you can see the states only Tree. 
 
 
I followed my GPS and noticed I was headed for Oklahoma's I35. No way, Once a year is enough for me. I made a hard right turn just in time.
 
Too Close to stop so I headed on home. When I wrapped it up I had driven 9200 miles, visited 11 states, 2 Canadian provinces, 1 Canadian territory, one of the polar circles and had no major issues.  
 
It was a Hell of a trip!
 
 
 

 
 
NEXT DAY : Lessons Learned

2 comments:

  1. What a trip!!! Thanks for sharing it with me and the rest of the world.
    Don (the old guy at the hardware store)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your story! I read it all in one sitting. Now, in mid-December, I'm wondering where I should take my V-Strom for an epic trip in the Spring. Ride on!

    ReplyDelete